Thursday, December 12, 2013

Making Life Relivant.

When I sit in Panera Bread writing ( my office away from home ) you get to watch lots of children.  They run, jump scream, and play, just in their own little worlds! WE think.  So I ask myself this questions? What do they see?

A few years back in my third childhood, I read:  Dr. Michio Kaku's interesting book:

Hyperspace and a Theory of Everything

What lies beyond our 4 dimensions?

"When I was a child, I used to visit the Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco. I would spend hours fascinated by the carp, who lived in a very shallow pond just inches beneath the lily pads, just beneath my fingers, totally oblivious to the universe above them.
I would ask myself a question only a child could ask: what would it be like to be a carp? What a strange world it would be! I imagined that the pond would be an entire universe, one that is two-dimensional in space. The carp would only be able to swim forwards and backwards, and left and right. But I imagined that the concept of “up”, beyond the lily pads, would be totally alien to them. Any carp scientist daring to talk about “hyperspace”, i.e. the third dimension “above” the pond, would immediately be labelled a crank. I wondered what would happen if I could reach down and grab a carp scientist and lift it up into hyperspace. I thought what a wondrous story the scientist would tell the others! The carp would babble on about unbelievable new laws of physics: beings who could move without fins. Beings who could breathe without gills. Beings who could emit sounds without bubbles. I then wondered: how would a carp scientist know about our existence? One day it rained, and I saw the rain drops forming gentle ripples on the surface of the pond.

Then I understood.

The carp could see rippling shadows on the surface of the pond. The third dimension would be invisible to them, but vibrations in the third dimensions would be clearly visible. These ripples might even be felt by the carp, who would invent a silly concept to describe this, called “force.” They might even give these “forces” cute names, such as light and gravity. We would laugh at them, because, of course, we know there is no “force” at all, just the rippling of the water."

Each Monday I teach speaking to this wonderful group of 5th graders.  Do they ask  the question's only a child could ask: what would it be like to be a carp? What a strange world it would be!  Do they imagine that the pond would be an entire universe, yes!
Truly today's children are so far ahead of what we were at their age. If you remember Big Blue (IBM), it filled a whole room, today's  iPod has more power.   So then is it a silly idea to think they see the world much different that we do?

Then as  Dr. Michio Kaku writes "these ripples might even be felt by the carp, who would invent a silly concept to describe this, called “force.”  Then when the "force" is changed to "thinking" in our children, the door is opened wide! 

These young minds will walk through to the future, with the universe as much a unknown? We could say the sky's the limit.

This is exactly why I created Youth Speaking to America, to help open up these young minds!  ' The Big Show' is just one stepping stone to present yourself to the world.  


When you teach young children the art of public speaking, you know move these searching minds beyond the pad or phone, to the big stage see ( Break Down the Wall ) my last blog. 


 Adults are told this public speaking thing is scary, why?  If your one of those scared adults, stop into a Toastmasters meeting:

 Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Our membership is 292,000 strong. These members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 14,350 clubs in 122 countries that make up our global network of meeting locations.

Then you will understand why Youth Speaking to America. 

 Please go to:  http://www.youthspeakingtoamerica.com/STUDENTS-SPEAK-UP.html

York   

No comments:

Post a Comment