Saturday, October 5, 2013

Becoming the best teacher



Friends, how do you become one of those best teachers? Well, I bet most of you reading here have taken education seriously?
If you read my blogs you know I took a different path, and my path ran up-hill. Why I took on a life of entrepreneurism, only God knows.

From selling Newsday subscription's at age 12, winning those trips to Coney Island, Brooklyn Dodger,
New York Yankee and Giants games, was forming my ' Big Adventure' a Pee Wee herman movie.
My 10,000 hours of practice started early. Research by Malcolm Gladwell ( The Outliers ), it's a very interesting read.

Fast Forward to 1958, the day the music died, three legends of early Rock N Roll, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens, left us in a plane crash.  The day was special I was 16,  they threw me out of school for the last time.

So what do you do when you graduate from the class clown, to hangin out?  Now I was real cool, no job, no money and no education, you get lucky!  I met Bob Riley. Bob changed my life, he taught me the landscaping business.

One of the theme's with YSTA is being a mentor, Bob Riley did exactly that, I owe everything to Bob. 

But of course my 'Big Adventure' was just beginning.
 It's now I WANT TO TELL THE WORLD!

When I look back to 2003, and that flashback, that 16 year old boy who helped me realize why I had become a Toastmaster.
  Coach John Wooden said "Don't let what you can't do stop you from what you can do".

We can all strive to be a better teacher, a better mentor, be like John Wooden!

' The Big Show' speech contest will open on Facebook Dec. 1st.
 See all the rules and how to enter:  http://goo.gl/kYtLkR .

The whole idea here is to reach out, find young speakers and those who don't even know yet they can!

York 

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

~Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment