Friday, October 4, 2013

How do you turn things around?

 'THE BIG SHOW' JUNE 2014

I feel a strong need to be a role model, I think I even met myself at
 age 13, the class clown/trouble maker.  Meeting yourself  is such
a new challenge!  This is when you reach down deep in your
experience as a Toastmaster, father, and teacher, because you
understand, you were there!

You understand the lack of a role model, maybe a parent who 
lacks education?   You must take the lead because you know
how hard life is without a education!

Rory Vaden opens his speech 'Slam' with his back to the audience.
"He asks have you ever been slammed?  I know i'm being judged
right now, because they say never turn your back on the
 audience." As he turns around he asks " how is it that you turn 
things around.
In his close he says,as he turns around
"and that's how you turn things around" !

So how do you turn things around? 

  • First you open the door to public speaking
  • You give our future leaders a voice
  • Involve them in school speech programs
  • Contact a Toastmasters club, and ask if this child can be
  • a guest speaker?
  • Find or ask a Toastmasters club to present the 
  • Youth Leadership Program.
  • Contact a  school or your students teacher.
I have seen how students, as young as nine, gain confidence and
 overcome this fear of public speaking.  Find out what the students
say.  http://goo.gl/w3hlUl 

We are the teachers of the future, please step- up. If you need more
information on how to start this program,
email me: york.ysta@gmail.com or search Youth Leadership at
www.toastmasters.org.
See you at 'The Big Show'  http://goo.gl/kYtLkR

York

Today I started my tenth Youth Leadership Program.  This group of 17, 8th graders will be my biggest challenge.
After I explained what Toastmasters was all about, I showed two videos from the 2007 Toastmasters International Speech contest.
Second place: Rory Vaden 'Slam'
First Place:Vikas Jhingran 'The Swami's Question'





2 comments:

  1. York, thanks for the post now I know why we like each other we both live to inspire the young mind. As a teacher myself that is always my desire that I can be the cog in the wheel to turn some young life around so that they can see their potential, potential that was never made known to them before. I look forward to the big show I believe it will be the greatest ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Vilma, I am reaching out around the world. Not only is 'The Big Show' a speech contest, it's a stepping stone. Teaching the Toastmaster Youth Leadership Program is a big deal. I truly hope 'The Big Show' will wake up Toastmasters around the world. We Toastmaster understand the value.

      Delete